[Update, Jul 2015 – May Jean has since stepped down as Secretary and Council Member, having taken up a job posting overseas. We thank her for her faithful service and wish her God’s blessing in her new adventure!]
[Since we have just installed our BLC Council for 2015-2017, we thought it would be good to get to know them better. To do that, we are posting a profile of each council member – a profile a day for the next 7 days! The profiles will cover the roles and responsibilities of each council member, as well as a short question-and-answer interview – in their own words.]
May Jean has been elected as Secretary of the 2015-2017 Church Council, as well as the Council Member overseeing the community portfolio.
As Secretary, she is responsible for the following:
- Chiefly responsible for maintaining the administrative records of Bangsar Lutheran Church
- Keeps accurate minutes of all meetings of the congregation and of his or her Council in a volume provided by the congregation, and shall see to it that all necessary records are properly maintained and permanently stored, with copies of minutes of all congregational and Council meetings being sent to the Lutheran Church in Malaysia.
- In partnership with the Council Chairperson, to follow up on action items on Church Council meeting matters.
- Keep the membership rolls of the congregation, reporting them periodically to the Church Council and to the Lutheran Church in Malaysia. This includes being responsible for maintaining an accurate record of all baptisms, confirmations, communions and attendance at various services, classes and meetings sponsored by this congregation.
- All necessary records shall be maintained in the Parish Registrar, which shall be and remain the property of the congregation.
- In partnership with the Council Chairperson and Pastor, submit a written report to the Annual Meeting of the congregation and to the General Meeting of the Lutheran Church in Malaysia.
Under Community, May Jean is:
- Chiefly responsible for strengthening fellowship and relationships WITHIN the Church. This includes initiating, planning and leading various initiatives towards encouraging fellowship among BLC Family members.
- Maintains oversight over LiFE Groups
- Specifically organises: Parents’ Day, Birthdays (if any), Farewells, Church Camps, Special Meals/Celebrations
- Rosters the Fellowship after the service
Getting to know… May Jean!
Tell us briefly about yourself?
Turned quarter of a century this year. Not married, not single, youngest of three daughters and working in an AML department of a bank.
How long have you been at BLC and what were your first impressions about it, when you first came?
Hmm. Time flies, I can’t remember the year .. It feels like less than a year but I was attending BLC when it was at Luther Centre.
What was your initial reaction to being asked to join/remain in Council?
“Hahahaha. What’s going onnnnn…?”
What do you do during your free time?
I sleep too much. Or eat. Or both. But I like hikes and I occasionally write about life contemplations hahahaha.
What’s your favorite…
- Food? Hash browns! And all of my mother’s creative recipes
- Drink? Tea?
- Movie? Ooh… my favorite question! All-time favorites include Shutter Island, A Beautiful Mind and Prestige. (inserts crooked smile)
- Smell? Body shampoo…?
- Music genre? Nothing in general. Probably something mainstream.
- Book or literary genre? I ..don’t read as much as I should.
- Conversation topic? Life LOL. Or sampat stuff.
What would you consider your strength(s) and weakness(es)?
Strength : I think I’m quite funny sometimes …
Weakness: I don’t think my friends agree…
Can you share what your personal dream and aspiration is, for the next 10 years?It changes everyday. From career goals to stranger ones like climbing Everest lol. Perhaps being finally satisfied with simple things.
What is your dream for Malaysia (or the world), for the next 10 years?
This sounds like a Miss Universe kind of question… Can I skip this ? Lol
What does it mean for you to follow Christ today?
Kinda always mean or should mean the same yesterday and for tomorrow: That He gave up His life to save me and I should let Him take control of my life in all that I do.
What do you think God is saying to you lately?
Stay or go, stay or go. Let His will be done and let things be His glory.
What’s the most random thing you can think of right… NOW?
What’s the best way(s) to get in touch with you?