[Since we have just installed our BLC Council for 2015-2017, we thought it would be good to get to know them better. To do that, we are posting a profile of each council member – a profile a day for the next 7 days! The profiles will cover the roles and responsibilities of each council member, as well as a short question-and-answer interview – in their own words.]
[Update, 17 Jul 2016: Leigh Wong has accepted a job position overseas; so he has stepped down as Chairperson and will serve as Secretary. BLC is delighted and proud to announce our first-ever Madam Chairperson – Rubini Murugesan!]
Rubini Murugesan serves as Chairperson of the Church Council (2015-2017), as well as the Council Member overseeing the missions portfolio.
As Chairperson, she is responsible for:
- In partnership with the Pastor, to provide general oversight and coordination among the Church Council to further the ministry of BLC
- To call for and chair/be the presiding officer at all meetings of the Church Council and of the congregation. (In the event of the chairperson’s inability to perform his or her duties, he or she may appoint a Council Member to serve in his or her stead)
- Provides oversight for church administrative matters and is chiefly responsible for the BLC Administrator’s role.
- In partnership with the Pastor and Secretary, submit a written report to the Annual Meeting of the congregation and to the General Meeting of the Lutheran Church in Malaysia and Singapore.
As a Council Member, Rubini oversees our Missions work. In this capacity, she is responsible for:
- Championing the relationships OUTSIDE the BLC Family congregation, including highlighting and explaining to the congregation the mission needs and plans
- Leading all members of the congregation in both personal and congregational outreach with the Gospel to those yet won
- Overseeing the organizations we support, including ensuring they receive financial support on time every year, as well as reviewing this list and making the recommendations to add/drop as necessary
- Working with the OA partner congregation, including driving initiatives to strengthen this partnership/relationship
- Working in the context of supporting the Lutheran Church of Malaysia’s Mission work
Getting to know… Rubini!
Tell us briefly about yourself?
- Name: Rubini Murugesan
- Hometown: Ipoh, Perak
- Single – therefore no children.
- Live in a Condominium which does not allow its occupants to have pets – therefore no pets.
- I am in the legal line.
How long have you been at BLC and what were your first impressions about it, when you first came?
I have been in BLC since 2006.
My first impression was that BLC had a very funny seating arrangement. Round tables – almost similar to sitting at a dinner table – but it was a great way to get to know each other although the introvert part of me used to opt for the chairs which were not set around a table.
BLCians were very friendly. They still are.
What was your initial reaction to being asked to join/remain in Council?
Fervent prayers to the One above to give me strength to be able to continue with the responsibilities of being in Council.
What do you do during your free time?
Walk, travel and read.
What’s your favorite…
- Food? Bak Kut Teh
- Drink? Coffee
- Movie? Anything that has explosions, fast cars and hunksJ
- Smell? Coffee
- Music genre? Hip Hop /Contemporary Pop
- Book or literary genre? Biographies
- Conversation topic? The next place that I would like to travel to is…..
What would you consider your strength(s) and weakness(es)?
- Strengths – able to work in a team and/or independently. Accommodating.
- Weakness – not having the ability to say no. Not very good with time management.
Can you share what your personal dream and aspiration is, for the next 10 years?
To be able to manage my time better so that I can enjoy a balanced life.
What is your dream for Malaysia (or the world), for the next 10 years?
That Malaysians become colour blind, race blind and religion blind. That we learn to live harmoniously together and be less judgmental about each other.
What does it mean for you to follow Christ today?
To follow Him and to live by his examples.
What do you think God is saying to you lately?
Look around you and see how you can help others around you keeping in mind that you were blessed to have others around you that helped you through this journey called life.
What’s the most random thing you can think of right… NOW?
I have to finish this questionnaire if not my Chairman is going to ‘k-tish’ me again…:p
What’s the best way(s) to get in touch with you?
- Catch me on a Sunday – during fellowship sessions
- Call: +60 16 271 5067
- Other: Face-to-face conversations are my favourite….and if those conversations are done over coffee – even better.