[Since we have just installed our BLC Council for 2013-2015, we thought it would be good to get to know them better. To do that, we are posting a profile of each council member – a profile a day for the next 8 days! The profiles will cover the roles and responsibilities of each council member, as well as a short question-and-answer interview – in their own words.]
As a Council Member, Sheryl has been appointed to oversee our Missions work. In this capacity, she:
- Chiefly responsible for and champions the relationships OUTSIDE the BLC Family congregation, including highlighting and explaining to the congregation the mission needs and plans
- To stimulate and lead all members of the congregation in both personal and congregational outreach with the Gospel to those yet won
- Oversees the organizations we support, including ensuring they receive financial support on time every year, as well as reviewing this list and making the recommendations to add/drop as necessary
- Works with the OA partner congregation, including driving initiatives to strengthen this partnership/relationship
- Works in the context of supporting the Lutheran Church of Malaysia’s Mission work
Tell us briefly about yourself?
I’m a PJ/KL Malaysian, 28 going on 29, I was in academia for a while but now looking to see where life takes me.
How long have you been at BLC and what were your first impressions about it, when you first came?
I started attending in 2008 and thought it was cool that like my the church I attended during my uni days, BLC allowed the kids to run around during service. =)
What was your initial reaction to being asked to join/remain in Council?
Umm … I was hesitant and reluctant.
What do you do during your free time?
I watch films and listen to a sinful amount of kpop. Yes, I am out and proud.
What’s your favorite…
- Food? – Easier to say what I don’t like. I don’t like fresh coriander leaves.
- Drink? – Ribena and Vitagen.
- Movie? – This is a difficult question.
- Smell? – Freshly baked bread, coffee and rain.
- Music genre? – KPOP!
- Book or literary genre? – I think Agatha Christie should be a genre by herself because she is that awesome. But for favourite book, it’s Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘Remains of the Day’.
- Conversation topic? – KPOP! Sorry, Kpop.
What would you consider your strength(s) and weakness(es)?
Strengths? I’m warm and friendly and have pretty neat handwriting. Weaknesses? I over-think and according to my friends, am a terrible person to watch ‘X Factor’ with because I diva my way through it.
Can you share what your personal dream and aspiration is, for the next 10 years?
Hmm … to build or make tangible what is intangible in my heart.
What is your dream for Malaysia (or the world), for the next 10 years?
Better public transportation, those machines in European supermarkets which spit out coins when you feed it your plastic/glass bottles, Malaysian drivers to collectively learn to indicate and stick to their lanes. And World Peace.
What does it mean for you to follow Christ today?
I don’t know if this makes sense but you know how you learn to wait out (or wade through) the first impressions of everything as you grow older? I feel that’s what God’s kinda teaching me nowadays – to enlarge my waiting room.
What do you think God is saying to you lately?
This may worry you, my good reader, but I never really know what He’s saying. However, I find myself thinking a lot about Matt 6:25-34 – He clothes the lilies and feeds the birds; surely He is looking out for me in these small things and therefore, in the bigger things.
What’s the most random thing you can think of right… NOW?
좋아 니 모든 것이 좋아 …
What’s the best way(s) to get in touch with you?