[Since we have just installed our BLC Council for 2013-2015, we thought it would be good to get to know them better. To do that, we are posting a profile of each council member – a profile a day for the next 8 days! The profiles will cover the roles and responsibilities of each council member, as well as a short question-and-answer interview – in their own words.]
Aaron Sarma has been elected as secretary of the 2013-2015 Church Council, as well as the Council Member overseeing the stewardship portfolio.
A secretary, Aaron is responsible for the following:
- Chiefly responsible for being the administrative records of Bangsar Lutheran Church
- Keeps accurate minutes of all meetings of the congregation and of his or her Council in a volume provided by the congregation, and shall see to it that all necessary records are properly maintained and permanently stored, with copies of minutes of all congregational and Council meetings being sent to the Lutheran Church in Malaysia.
- In partnership with the Council Chairperson, to follow up on action items on Church Council meeting matters.
- Keep the membership rolls of the congregation, reporting them periodically to the Church Council and to the Lutheran Church in Malaysia. This includes being responsible for maintaining an accurate record of all baptisms, confirmations, communions and attendance at various services, classes and meetings sponsored by this congregation.
- All necessary records shall be maintained in the Parish Registrar, which shall be and remain the property of the congregation.
- In partnership with the Council Chairperson and Pastor, submit a written report to the Annual Meeting of the congregation and to the General Meeting of the Lutheran Church in Malaysia.
The property stewardship portfolio includes responsibilities over the following:
- Chiefly responsible for the proper maintenance and protection of all property entrusted to the congregation, and shall take care that the same is kept in good repair. Hence, serves as the key liaison for building repairs, maintenance, etc.
- (For 2013-2015) Presently, as payment for the Church Building has not yet been concluded, to lead and provide oversight leading to the complete settlement of the Church Building debt. This includes providing updates to the congregation and driving fund-raising activities.
Tell us briefly about yourself?
Born and raised in PJ. Living in TTDI. Currently Country Manager at StreetDeal Malaysia. An Entrepreneur at heart. Married to Mujan Sarma with little Raquel and fur-kids, Dexter & Dya.
How long have you been at BLC and what were your first impressions about it, when you first came?
We’ve been attending BLC since 2010 and were married by Ps. Augustin. We love the relaxed atmosphere and the richness of our interactions with people from such diverse backgrounds.
What was your initial reaction to being asked to join/remain in Council?
I felt honored to be asked and I hope I can contribute in a positive manner.
What do you do during your free time?
I wish I had ‘free time’ …
What’s your favorite…
Food? – I’m always up for a nice burger or a juicy steak.
Drink? – Nothing beats a Coke Light on a hot day
Movie? – Can’t think of one
Smell? – ???
Music genre? – Rock, Jazz, Chillout … No Hip Hop
Book or literary genre? – Graphic Novels
Conversation topic? – Politics, Religion, Geek Stuff
What would you consider your strength(s) and weakness(es)?
I can be a bit of a control freak – can either be a strength or a weakness depending on who you ask. 😉
Can you share what your personal dream and aspiration is, for the next 10 years?
To be a great dad to my kid(s).
To startup and scale one or two successful new ventures.
What is your dream for Malaysia (or the world), for the next 10 years?
To have a more mature democracy.
To transcend race-based politics.
What does it mean for you to follow Christ today?
Do justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly
What do you think God is saying to you lately?
Thou shalt complete this questionnaire!
What’s the most random thing you can think of right… NOW?
Phew! One more question to go!
What’s the best way(s) to get in touch with you?