[Since we have just installed our BLC Council for 2013-2015, we thought it would be good to get to know them better. To do that, we are posting a profile of each council member – a profile a day for the next 8 days! The profiles will cover the roles and responsibilities of each council member, as well as a short question-and-answer interview – in their own words.]
John Cheah has been elected as chairperson of the 2013-2015 Church Council, as well as the Council Member overseeing the education portfolio.
As chairperson, he is responsible for:
- In partnership with the Pastor, to provide general oversight and coordination among the Church Council to further the ministry of BLC
- To call for and chair/be the presiding officer at all meetings of the Church Council and of the congregation. (In the event of the president’s inability to perform his or her duties, he or she may appoint a Council Member to serve in his or her stead)
- Provides oversight for church administrative matters and is chiefly responsible for the BLC Administrator’s role.
- In partnership with the Pastor and Secretary, submit a written report to the Annual Meeting of the congregation and to the General Meeting of the Lutheran Church in Malaysia and Singapore.
For the education portfolio, he is responsible for:
- In partnership with the Pastor, to be chiefly responsible to encourage spiritual growth through education and lifelong learning by supervising and coordinating BLC education programmes and initiatives
- Provides oversight to ensure Bible Studies as well as other congregational learning programmes are carried out smoothly
- Key liaison with LCM HQ on education matters and programmes, including LBTI classes
- To lead the Education Core/Committee, if there is one
Tell us briefly about yourself?
- Hometown: Kuala Lumpur
- Age and/or birthday? 27 Sept
- Occupation? Works in a bank
- Baptism date/year? 1997
- Single/married? Married
- Number of Children and names? Christine (4 yo) and Daniel (1 yo)
- Spouse’s name? Su Shen
- If married, wedding anniversary/years married? 9 years
- What you do for a living? Similar to (c)
How long have you been at BLC and what were your first impressions about it, when you first came?
Su Shen and I first attended BLC in mid 2003
First impressions: Cozy, warm and friendly, family centric
What was your initial reaction to being asked to join/remain in Council?
Glad for the opportunity to serve in this capacity
What do you do during your free time?
Read, play online games with children
What’s your favorite…
- Music genre?
- Book or literary genre?
- Conversation topic?
No favourites at this time
What would you consider your strength(s) and weakness (es)?
Strengths: Enjoys talking and eating…
Can you share what your personal dream and aspiration is, for the next 10 years?
Run my own training consultancy
What is your dream for Malaysia (or the world), for the next 10 years?
A safe place for my children to grow up in
What does it mean for you to follow Christ today?
Making a difference at the workplace
What do you think God is saying to you lately?
Uncertain… the only word that comes to me now is BALANCE
What’s the most random thing you can think of right… NOW?
What’s the best way(s) to get in touch with you?
- Catch me on a Sunday
- Call: +60 16 3110 595
- Email: johncheah[at]gmail[dot]com
- Facebook: john.cheah.984[at]facebook[dot]com
- Twitter: @JohnCheahSC